Iglica (means “spire” or “needle”) is a monument, a needle-like located in Wroclaw, just in front of Centennial Hall. Initially it was 106 meters tall, now, after renovation the top 10 meters were removed.
It was built in 1948, by Polish Communists for an exhibition to celebrate receiving the control over the “Regained Territories” after World War II.
The location was chosen by purpose, to take away the attention from the Centennial Hall built by Germans.
Originally Iglica was topped by shield of mirrors rotating and giving it a look of umbrella. At night it was giving amazing light effects. Just before the official inauguration the construction was destroyed by lightnings. The remnants were removed after few months by two climbing enthusiasts. They used still unknown in Poland these days sub sequences technique using ropes and loops, now widely used to overcome the vertical walls.The climbing took them more than 24h plus 6h of dismantling.
There were few interesting events happening During the martial law, a man climbed up and hanged the banner of banned union Solidarity (NSZZ Solidarność). In 2007, Iglica turned into Europe’s highest Christmas tree. At the opening of the Beijing Olympic Games, a group of members from association “Young Wroclaw”hanged the Tibetan flag, in solidarity with people from Tibet persecuted by Chinese authorities.
Small Iglica on Plac Solny:
You can find the second, much smaller Iglica set in the central of Plac Solny (Salt Square), just next to market square. It was placed there in 1996.